Monday, April 13, 2009

Florida Chick on Staycation

It always seems that for us, Spring Break ends up being nothing more than an extended period of Spring cleaning and errand running, catching up on doctor and dentist appointments, and hours spent listening to choruses of "I'm bored" which start at about 2pm on the first day of vacay...but not so this Spring break - oh no, we decided to go all out and take all of the economists advice and vacation where we live. Fortunately for us we live in Florida and not DesMoines(a staycation would be much less fun there I'm thinking) and taking full advantage of our vacation time...we did nothing.

I don't mean nothing in the bad way - you know - the kind that leads to kids whining on the couch because they have nothing to do and there is nothing on T.V. I don't even mean it in the way that that nothing is actually something but involves spending too much money on something you shouldn't have spent money on (ie: "Hi honey, what did you do today?" "Oh nothing." (while shoving a new pair of sandals further into the trunk of the car - not that this has ever happened)).

Anyway, we did nothing this week as in the only work I did was check the time to make sure the kids had a fresh coat of sunscreen every hour, and make one trip to the Dollar Store to replace the first set of water sprayers that were broken in a particulary tough battle by Carson against opposing 5 year olds. We ate out every night (I only had to wash one coffee mug every day - and actually I only rinsed it out since I was reusing it every morning). We ate chips and salsa, slushies, ice cream, and multiple bags of sour skittles and butterfinger minis. We walked the Broadwalk, sat in the sun for hours, read People, US and Oprah, and collected seashells on the beach.

I have to admit that even though Florida has its pitfalls (crime, taxes, home prices, July, jellyfish, mosquitoes, healthcare) it's really nice to be able to spend an entire week relaxing at the beach which is only .8 miles from home...especially when my friends back home (who have little crime, low taxes, and much better healthcare options) are still wearing winter coats...hey it's only fair...I'd trade tanlines for lower taxes - but not in March...I'd take tanlines in March anyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment